How To SetUp A VPN In Windows 7/8/10 PC
As we know and as the name suggests, the virtual private network will help you in extending a personal or private network across a publicly accessible network. It allows a PC which is using a public network, be accessible to the use of or making a connection to a private network and it creates a secure sort of tunnel between the machine which is currently accessing the network and the network. This secure tunnel which is created by VPN is very helpful in preventing any leak or intrusion in the data which is shared across the internet between the links created by VPN. Here in this article you will get complete information on how to setup a vpn in windows below.
Benefits from setting up a VPN: How to setup a VPN Windows PC
If we talk about some beneficial facts from setting up a VPN, primarily it will allow the user to surf from their home or public setting and that too privately. It not only creates a secure bubble of the private and public network for individuals or more precisely, customers but also is of great aid to the businesses and organizations’ working. It allows the employees of business-oriented organizations to remotely connect to their corporate network very securely.
Mostly, VPN connections are handled or dealt with by some specific or customized software. Usually, the VPNs which are supplied by employers have limited number of servers to connect to, and if we talk about the client end, there is a need to be selective to a specific server so that there might be issues regarding the change of location and so on.
Must Read – Best Free VPN Services 2018 – Download
Before you could have access to VPN, you need to set it up on windows. Let us discuss the process on how to setup a VPN on windows.
How to set up a VPN on windows? steps:
- Primarily, you need to search for VPN in your setting before you start working on it. So, you would go to Cortana on your start button/taskbar and search for VPN there.
- Now, it would show up options like changing a VPN and so on. However, what you will do is to go into the settings > internet and network settings and choose Virtual Private Network.
- Now as the VPN screen shows, you will select the topmost option which says “Add a VPN connection.”
- Now, a new window will appear, and you will enter all the required details for your VPN. You will select “windows” from the drop-down list which appears when you click on “VPN provider” because you are setting up a VPN on windows. Now the VPN type will be changed to “automatic,” and the type of sign-in information will show username and password.
- You will be needed to fill in the column of “connection name” and “server name and address.” Now, these will be based on your VPN provider’s selection in the prior step where you chose windows.
- Now, as you scroll down, you will see space for entering your VPN username and password. It will be provided by your VPN service. Once you fill these, you have to save the settings and close the window.
- Now, in the final step, you will go to your wifi settings and select the name of the VPN you just created. It will usually be at the top of the list, and if you did not make any possible mistake, it will just automatically connect, and there you could start the further usage.
This mentioned process is easy. However, you should remember that this process would be easier for PPTP AND L2TP connection types, and you will need the installation of a root certificate from your VPN provider if you are willing to set up VPN for IKEv2 connection type. This is major because not every service supports IKEv2.
Now the above method was suitable for windows 10, but if you have access to Windows 7 and are willing to opt for a VPN on Windows 7, there would be some changes in the process.
How to setup a VPN on Windows 7:
- Alike the prior steps you will go to your search button in the start menu and look for set up a virtual private network connection.
- Now, you will be required to fill in the IP address and domain name of the server which you are trying to connect to.
- In case, you are willing to just set up a connection and not to start the connection; you will select don’t connect now.
- Now, on the next window screen you will be required to enter the username and password but its okay if you leave it blank because you will be asked for it on the actual connection window. Click “connect.”
- Now, to connect, you will click on the network logo on the right of the taskbar and select “connect” under “VPN connection.”
- Now, in “connect VPN connection,” you will be required to enter your credentials and click “connect.”
- In case, you are not able to set up a connection; it is probably due to issues in your server configuration as there are different types of VPN. It will eventually connect if you solve the issue which is minor.
- Now, you will navigate through the security tab in “properties” and select “type of VPN” from a drop-down You will also be required to unselect “include windows login domain” from the “options” and then click ok and proceed.
Once, you have learned how to set up a connection; you would be required to learn how to use a VPN and then your whole process of setting up a meaningful connection and effectively using it, will be complete.
Though these processes of how to set up a VPN in windows and moreover how to use a VPN are a bit engaging, they are very skillful and will eventually help you in building a very private network which would be much secure and useful.
So, now you have learned enough facts regarding how to setting up a VPN, and you’re ready to enter the business now!